Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Starting Over

I think part of the reason many people look down at Pagans is because, when asked about our beliefs, many of us do not know how to respond. This is probably because so many who are interested pick up whatever random book strikes their fancy and start in the middle instead of at the beginning. It is difficult to grasp the intricacies of rituals and develop a deep connection when you do not really understand what you are supposed to be connecting with. When I was younger, I remember spending hours in the "Alternative Religion" section of bookstores looking for spellbooks because I thought that's all there was to Wicca and Paganism.

After much searching, I have been able to find the books, tarot cards, crystals, and other items I thought I would never see again. Most of what I have are more "advanced" than I feel at the moment, so I went out and purchased a book called  Pagan Spirituality: A Guide to Personal Transformation. Don't get me wrong, the other books I have are wonderful and informative, but I feel the need to develop my spirituality before I venture out into the rest of Paganism.

How can anyone explain a religion they don't understand? The simple answer is: They can't. And too many people are afraid of Paganism (regardless of which branch of Paganism is practiced). When people ask what my religion is - and then question that religion - I want to be able to say with confidence what I believe and why others are wrong to think Pagans are evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment